Zhodani grav AFVs and general purpose vehicle




Today's pictures are all Zhodani military vehicles and troopers.  Camouflage is for regions of planets habitable by humans, where photosynthesizing plant life, native or imported, flourishes.

First is a general purpose grav vehicle (gGPV), shown above and below with a trooper for scale.  The vehicle was originally a pencil sharpener from a dollar store.  Trooper is a 25mm Denizen Ventauran. 




Above is a light gAFV with a trooper for scale.  The vehicle was originally a Belkin wired mouse without a scroll wheel.  Trooper is a Denizen Ventauran.  He is standing at the back of the vehicle.



These are two medium gAFVs or gcarriers.  They were originally soap dishes of the same type as in my 11 June 2020 post, Zhodani gCarriers (from Daiso, a Japanese dollar store).

Paint for all was Rustoleum Ultra Matte Perfect Gray Paint & Primer ("Ultra Matte"), Rustoleum Camouflage Sand, and Krylon Camouflage Olive.  It's not visible in the pictures, but the undersides of the vehicles are the Ultra Matte color.

The Ultra Matte didn't work out well as primer.  It didn't go on thickly enough to cover the stickers that I used for the rear doors of the gcarriers, and I needed too many coats.  I should have just used flat white primer.  The Ultra Matte worked well as a middle coat on identical gcarriers a few weeks ago, so I'll stick to using in that role.

All pictures were taken indoors with indirect lighting from a flourescent desk magnifying lamp and incandescent torchiere lamp.  Camera was iPhone 6, no flash, default settings.

This picture shows the Belkin mouse and dollar store pencil sharpener as the first and last items of the top row:


The four finished vehicles together are here:


The Zhodani trefoil is a stencil, first the three small circles (punched from a mailing label) and then the large circle (clear plastic sticker from my wife's office supplies).  The Zdetl numbers are masking tape stencils. 

To do the green windshield on the gGPV, I masked both inside and outside.  There were enough holes in the body (e.g., at the hinges) for a lot of paint to spray inside, so I'm glad I did.  The windshield didn't come out as sharp as I wanted.  Next time -- assuming I can find another pencil sharpener like this one -- I'll try Frog Tape, famous for making a sharp edge.  To be fair, I didn't use masking tape, just a conveniently-sized sticky label. 

I made the snakeskin pattern by using a nylon mesh fruit bag.  The pattern only appears where the mesh is actually touching the model, so I didn't get as much of it as I wanted.  Next time I'll get better results. 

The nylon mesh, having now been used on two projects, makes pretty good camouflage netting, shown here providing some shade in the desert:






  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asteroids from Dollar Tree

gCarrier in Splinter Pattern

More science fiction operators